40 Mournings and Nights

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Uncle Shaker

My uncle died yesterday. Living far away, our side of the family just found out today. He was in his late 50s.

He was a kind uncle. I stayed with him as a kid when we visited my grandmother. I wasnt his first neice. In fact, i had 7 other neices to compete with. But for some reason, he liked me and my little girly ways charmed him, a father of three boys at the time. He was a gentle giant. He worked in construction and was buff and brawny. Strong. I always remembered him as an amazingly strong, muscular man, with huge biceps and the most beautiful coppery tan i've ever seen. He spent so many days working in the sun, the tan on his forearms was permanent. An awesome tan.

We werent close as adults. He was laid off in his 40s, and he retired early. He spent his retirement smoking and eating. I saw a wedding video with him in it recently. I couldnt believe he was the same uncle or that him and my father were related. They looked nothing alike.

I hope he had a good retirement. He earned it. I pray that God welcomes him into paradise and shows him a kindness, gentleness, and mercy, as he had on me, when i came to stay with him many eons ago.

God bless you, Uncle Shaker, and have mercy on you. I wish we could have been closer in our adult years, but thank you for the unblemished memories of my youth.

Jude

1 Comments:

  • Thanks Tracy. I am slowly and gradually feeling better. Sometimes i slip back, but for the most part, i'm slugging forward.

    And I'm so excited about Lost! That gives me something to look forward to. I hope i get home in time for it. I forget to tvo it :)

    By Blogger Fertile Soul, at 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Seo Blog - free, no ads homepage hosting! Start your website today! Publishing and journaling with ease!