40 Mournings and Nights

Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Edge of Reason

As a fan of Pride and Prejudice, it's my job, nay my duty to humanity, to watch all the remakes, satires, and spoofs of it. I'm not sure which category Bridget Jones falls into, but off the top of my head i'd say it's a spoof, a not-so-funny-or-so-cute spoof.

Well, first off, Bridget is supposed to be pudgy. Fine. But does she have to be ugly too? Rene Zelweger is a pretty girl, as i recall from Jerry McGuire, and not because she was thin in that movie. But as Bridget Jones, her hair was always just a brush shy of being combed and she walked all weird. Why? Why does she have to have a ducky walk? It's NOT CUTE PEOPLE! And when are the Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrritish going to learn to role their r's? Who is Mahk Dahcy???? And the real Mr. Darcy would never fall in love with someone so uncute! And we all have it on gewd authority that Rene can be cute. So why did they de-cutify her for this movie? I wanna know!

There are some really cute pudgy people in the world, so i dont understand why they had to make fat so unappealing. I wasn't convinced that Mr. Darcy would find it appealing either. What, just because he says to her "I like all your wobbly bits in all circumstances." Eeeeewww. Thank you for that mental image in my mind's eye which can now only be blotted out with a mental letter opener.

Anyway, i never meant this as a rant against Bridget Jones. Why am i in a ranty mood? I was just merely going to politely query why is it called Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason? Is it because she comes to the very edge of her reason for dumping Mahk Dahcy and realizes that she had none to begin with? (That was a very well done scene, imho, by the way).

Hmmm, deep thoughts, i say. Who knew such a satire ... err spoof, could inspire any.

But while we're on this precipice let me survey my own. I have wanted children for the longest darndest time, ever since i was little. In fact, my children have helped me make a lot of life choices. For instance, when it came time to choose a graduate school, law school versus medical school, i thought, law school, OF COURSE, because it's only 3 years and medical school is 4 and that saves me one more year to be with my kids.

And now in retrospect, i really had no reason to choose law school over medical school, i had no reason to rush through high school and college, let alone suffer through a costly and boring mis-education in law school.

I thought i was saving a whole year. I really rather preferred medical school. I always preferred the sciences. Only high school corrupted me into thinking about saving the world through law as well as medicine, peace and good health. Ha! Fat lot of saving i did. Cant even save my sorry self.

So ladies and gentleman, the moral of the story is that when one is standing on the edge of reason, you may very well find that you have none, not even a precipice.

Jude

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Seo Blog - free, no ads homepage hosting! Start your website today! Publishing and journaling with ease!